You Always Said I Had a Way with Words

We were in kindergarten. You were one of the few people that was as tall as I was. (People reading this now are probably very confused as to how I was ever considered tall) I was very excited about this and decided we could be friends.

We were about 7 or 8 years old. I saw you at the Conoco Easter Egg Hunt and that's when we realized our dads worked together. Having you and Rachel at all of those parties made them so much more fun.

We were young - I can't remember how old exactly - but we took out my fleet of power wheels and cruised around the neighborhood (a preview of what was to come ten years later I suppose). I drove the corvette and you drove the jeep. Somehow you managed to flip the jeep into the ditch and you were covered in gross ditch stuff. You stood in my bathtub and we cried/laughed together as my mom had to try and get all the ditch gunk out of you.

We were in 5th grade and decided to have a joint birthday party. Our birthdays were three weeks apart so we met halfway. Our party was at Skate City and we had a tie dye theme. We each got to ride in the giant roller skate. I thought it was so cool that we could have a joint birthday party & felt like we OWNED that skating rink.

We were in 5th grade and we sat on the green benches during recess. You had a two pack of tropical Starbursts with you - one was strawberry banana and the other was mango melon. You shared them with me and gave me the mango melon. I was so thankful that you wanted to share with me and thought it made me the coolest kid ever that you'd be willing to share. To this day, that is my favorite Starburst flavor and this is exactly why.

We were in either 4th or 5th grade in art class. We made these dot paintings using a teardrop stamper. I messed up on mine towards the beginning and you said, "Don't worry, yours will still come out good. You always make things look so pretty." You were right. My painting rocked.


We started middle school. That was scary. We tortured our French teachers together and had the time of our lives. This is when the World of boys entered our lives. That was much scarier.

We were in 6th grade. You had just gotten the Sims for your birthday and we were having a sleepover. I taught you all the cool cheat codes and we played it FOREVER on the desktop in your room. That totally upped your cool factor btw.

We were in middle school and decided to give our old Barbies haircuts and color all their hair with brown markers...and blue markers...and purple markers... It was like an army of Miley Cyruses.

We were in 8th grade. It was time to change out of our gym clothes and back into our school uniforms. Our lockers were right next to each other and somehow we managed to collide and I said the exact phrase, "Oh my gosh!! You just elbowed me in the face with your knee!!" Yep. Hadn't taken anatomy at that point I guess.

We started high school. Since you were in all of the gifted classes and I was in all of the advanced classes, the only ones we overlapped in were PE and French. One day I forgot my tennis shoes for PE and you let me borrow your super cool yellow ones that you kept in your gym locker. I kinda "forgot" mine a few times after that because I wanted to wear your shoes again.

We were in 10th grade and had just gotten our drivers licenses. SCORE!

We were in 12th grade and shared my locker because yours was just super far away. Mine was prime real estate.

We had just graduated and went on your senior trip. ANNNND that's all I'm saying about THAT.

These are some of the memories that are flooding back to me as I try to process what's happening. You always had a way with numbers and you said I always had a way with words. But today, my words are failing. All I can seem to say is thank you for being such a big part of my life. Home wouldn't have been home without you and I love you.

Tu es mon ami pour toujours. Je t'aime et je suis désolé que je n'ai pas dit ça plus.




Comments

  1. Beautiful memories and words, Erin! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment