French Immersion

I've seen many articles and posts talking about the French flag filter on Facebook - most of which beginning with "Why I wont't change my picture to the French flag" or "Why a profile picture isn't considered activism" or something else along those lines. So, instead of why not, I would like to share WHY.

Most people know this, but for those who don't, I grew up speaking French. Louisiana history and culture is deeply rooted in Francophones. Long story short, people got kicked out of France and were moved to Canada then got kicked out of Canada and moved to the U.S., thus giving rise to Louisiana and our culture. For a long time, the native French speaking descendants were considered second class citizens and were deeply ridiculed, discriminated against, and overpowered. Children weren't allowed to speak French in school so for those families who spoke French at home, their children were often denied education or seen as problem children simply because of the language barrier. 

Many decades later, Louisiana began to reclaim its French heritage and did so with deep pride. In an effort to bring that culture back into the school system, a program called French Immersion was created. Starting in kindergarten, children would spend their days split into French speaking classes and English speaking classes. Our French classes were grammar, reading, spelling, math, science, and social studies. Our English classes were grammar, reading, and spelling. By the time wee reached middle school, only our grammar/reading/writing classes and social studies were in French with all our other classes being in English. By high school, we took only French Immersion which was a course very similar to high school English. We did complicated grammar, read novels, and continued learning about the French culture and French history. I would say that by about the 2nd or 3rd grade, we were fully fluent and by high school were equally proficient in French as we were in English. 

I owe a LOT to the French immersion program. It's where I met some of my very best friends, had some of the best teachers, learned about my heritage, and realized just how much academic potential I truly had. Our French class made so many priceless memories - mostly centered around messing with our teachers because well, we had had many years of practice. Our teachers came from all over the world - Paris, southern France, Africa, Belgium, Canada, and even the U.S.. We had an incredibly enriching experience and one that not many others will ever understand. We were pushed to our limits and had high expectations but oh how it paid off. I can honestly say that had it not been for a certain high school French teacher pushing us so incredibly much for four long years, I wouldn't have achieved my dream of getting into TCU much less excelling in college and grad school. 

French is much more than just a language to me. French is my childhood, my best memories, my hidden talent, my heritage, and my home. Have I actually been to Paris? No, not yet... But even so, French occupies a large part of my heart and always will. 

And so, I recognize that something small like a picture on Facebook may not change the world, but because of French, my world has changed for the better. I am indebted to what French has done for me, my future, and my home. Yes, it may be small and it may not make a substantial difference, but I am honored to bear the colors of my roots and I pray that those roots will remain strong, stubborn, passioante, and tenacious - the TRUE French way of life. 

Comments