Sunday, February 22nd, 2015
It was Sunday morning. The much coveted cinnamon roll breakfast. I had just gotten my plate and knew it was now or never. Conveniently, there was a chair between my friend Caleb and him... You know who I'm talking about... That tattoo footed-pun making-drum playing-dog loving youth minister from Wichita Falls. I decided to sit in that open chair and upon biting into my cinnamon roll, I noticed it tasted slightly different than normal. "Hmm this tastes different than normal..." I said. "Right!? It tastes kinda like lemon!" HE said.
Okay conversation started. Pretend you don't know about his dogs but casually bring up yours which will invite him to talk about his. (See, I have game... I could write a book...)
It worked. Soon we were talking about Maggie, Sadie, and Barney. I had to pretend that I didn't already know about Maggie & Sadie and I had to look super excited when he showed me their picture without giving off the impression that I had already seen several the night before. I learned a few other things like what he was thinking of getting his Masters in and that one of the options was in Denton. "Good, that's closer to Gainesville and Fort Worth than Wichita Falls is. This could work..." "Slow down Erin!" my inner voice said... "You have no idea what you're getting into or what you're doing when you graduate!" Against my better judgement I stopped listening to my inner voice and listened to everything he was saying.
I wanted to say goodbye to him after closing worship but we needed to hurry and get on the road because a bad storm was coming soon. About halfway through our drive home, Lexi, Adrianna, and I stopped at a huge gas station to get snacks and coffee for the home stretch (oh and gas). As we were standing in line, we started talking about the weather and getting home and I slipped by saying, "I hope that cute youth minister from Wichita Falls makes it home okay..." Thankfully I think they missed the "cute" part and I took that opportunity to send him a Facebook friend request.
We all made it back safely and he accepted my request that afternoon. I sat for several hours trying to figure out what to say and finally came up with, "Hey! I just wanted to make sure the other northern most group made it back safely." He responded 3 minutes later and we haven't stopped talking since.
The next few days were filled with amazing get-to-know you conversation in which we learned how many odd and kind of scary similarities we had. I wasn't sure what it was yet, but I knew it was special and I couldn't wait to see where it would go or if we would ever see each other again.
I guess you can say... Thank God for those lemon cinnamon rolls...
Comments
Post a Comment