Friday afternoon I was with a friend in Fort Worth when the song "If It Wasn't For Texas" came on the radio. The first time I heard that song was during my freshman year of college at TCU... and it made me emotional even back THEN so you can imagine how I felt 9 years later. Though I lived in Louisiana twice as long as I lived in Texas, I feel like most of my actual living took place here. I've literally spent 1/3 of my life in the lone star state and to be honest, I wouldn't have minded spending another 1/3. We make fun of Texas a lot - people from other states, people who may not fit in the Texas stereotype, heck even actual Texans - and as much as I joke about Texas, I am so insanely thankful for the 9 years I've been here. Texas has given me some of my fondest and some of my most challenging memories.
I remember the first time I drove here, I literally cried when I saw the number of highways that intersect and fly over each other. I was terrified and Texas just seemed so... big. I moved here on August of 2007, before smart phones were realistic to own and GPS's were luxury items. I learned my way around Fort Worth using a paper map and lots of trial and error (so much error). Much like navigating the metroplex as a terrified college freshman, I learned to [attempt to] navigate my personal journey.
That journey began as a young child dreaming of going to TCU and evolved to being a freshman at TCU and questioning whether or not I was even horned frog material and ultimately to becoming a TCU graduate a few times over. I quickly learned that my Texas life was not solely built around TCU's campus and instead included dear extended family and friends, two wonderful church families, a church camp community, and friends who became my home away from home.
So, in honor of the 9 years I have lived in Texas, I offer 9 memories and lessons that will follow me down hwy 287 and anywhere else I may go.
1. During my freshman year, I became heavily involved in Disciples on Campus and stayed involved long past then. This was the first time I had met so many people whose faith was similar to mine and who shared the same values, beliefs, and experiences as I did. This community allowed me to thrive in my faith and to understand God in tangible, enriching ways. So for my friends and colleagues who were so vital and still are vital to my faith journey, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
2. During my 9 years, I experienced many ups and downs. During one particularly down time my sophomore year, a group of girls in my sorority invited me to tag along with them after a football game. They had no idea that I was struggling at that point and one of my dearest friends Kennedy said 5 words that redirected my entire emotional roller coaster. "Erin, how does chipotle sound?" I can't pinpoint why that day changed our friendship so much, but I'm so glad it did. Sigma Kappa taught me what it meant to be a part of something larger than yourself and to lean on one another for survival, just like our founders did back in 1874.
3. I had the most fun roommates during my senior year and still long for the days of Herndon 118. They taught me that with the right friends in your corner (and the support of the executive council), nothing is impossible. In return I taught them how to speak a cat into an on campus apartment, how to make your RA incredibly uncomfortable, and that Tabasco really does belong on pizza.
4. In undergrad I learned that its beyond challenging to do a double degree, especially when you're not particularly academic, and to never attempt something so crazy again. I relapsed again in grad school. Oops.
5. The church I attended in Fort Worth (South Hills Christian Church) gave me an instant family and support system that can only be given by a congregation - and also trusted whoever volunteered me to be a youth sponsor with the Chi Rho kids for 4.5 years.
6. Disciples Crossing in Athens became my longest camp location. Though I've only gone as a counselor, I have come to love Disciples Crossing as my own home. Thank God for this holy ground.
7. FCC Gainesville stood by me in tragedy and triumph, nurtured me in my ministry, and is the best darn church anyone could ask for.
8. The SOS Team at Catholic Charities helped me expand my ministry/social justice interests and taught me how to care for ALL of God's children.
9. The greatest thing I will take with me from Texas is my wonderful husband. I learned to follow my heart, take the leap, and to allow someone to go on this adventure called life with me. Justin has taught me what an amazing gift it is to love someone deeply and to be loved deeply in return.
TCU's alma mater ends by saying, "Mem'ries sweet, comrades true. Light of faith, follow through, hail to the TCU." And I couldn't have said it better myself.
Only Heaven knows just where I'd be, if it wasn't for Texas.
I remember the first time I drove here, I literally cried when I saw the number of highways that intersect and fly over each other. I was terrified and Texas just seemed so... big. I moved here on August of 2007, before smart phones were realistic to own and GPS's were luxury items. I learned my way around Fort Worth using a paper map and lots of trial and error (so much error). Much like navigating the metroplex as a terrified college freshman, I learned to [attempt to] navigate my personal journey.
That journey began as a young child dreaming of going to TCU and evolved to being a freshman at TCU and questioning whether or not I was even horned frog material and ultimately to becoming a TCU graduate a few times over. I quickly learned that my Texas life was not solely built around TCU's campus and instead included dear extended family and friends, two wonderful church families, a church camp community, and friends who became my home away from home.
So, in honor of the 9 years I have lived in Texas, I offer 9 memories and lessons that will follow me down hwy 287 and anywhere else I may go.
1. During my freshman year, I became heavily involved in Disciples on Campus and stayed involved long past then. This was the first time I had met so many people whose faith was similar to mine and who shared the same values, beliefs, and experiences as I did. This community allowed me to thrive in my faith and to understand God in tangible, enriching ways. So for my friends and colleagues who were so vital and still are vital to my faith journey, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
2. During my 9 years, I experienced many ups and downs. During one particularly down time my sophomore year, a group of girls in my sorority invited me to tag along with them after a football game. They had no idea that I was struggling at that point and one of my dearest friends Kennedy said 5 words that redirected my entire emotional roller coaster. "Erin, how does chipotle sound?" I can't pinpoint why that day changed our friendship so much, but I'm so glad it did. Sigma Kappa taught me what it meant to be a part of something larger than yourself and to lean on one another for survival, just like our founders did back in 1874.
3. I had the most fun roommates during my senior year and still long for the days of Herndon 118. They taught me that with the right friends in your corner (and the support of the executive council), nothing is impossible. In return I taught them how to speak a cat into an on campus apartment, how to make your RA incredibly uncomfortable, and that Tabasco really does belong on pizza.
4. In undergrad I learned that its beyond challenging to do a double degree, especially when you're not particularly academic, and to never attempt something so crazy again. I relapsed again in grad school. Oops.
5. The church I attended in Fort Worth (South Hills Christian Church) gave me an instant family and support system that can only be given by a congregation - and also trusted whoever volunteered me to be a youth sponsor with the Chi Rho kids for 4.5 years.
6. Disciples Crossing in Athens became my longest camp location. Though I've only gone as a counselor, I have come to love Disciples Crossing as my own home. Thank God for this holy ground.
7. FCC Gainesville stood by me in tragedy and triumph, nurtured me in my ministry, and is the best darn church anyone could ask for.
8. The SOS Team at Catholic Charities helped me expand my ministry/social justice interests and taught me how to care for ALL of God's children.
9. The greatest thing I will take with me from Texas is my wonderful husband. I learned to follow my heart, take the leap, and to allow someone to go on this adventure called life with me. Justin has taught me what an amazing gift it is to love someone deeply and to be loved deeply in return.
TCU's alma mater ends by saying, "Mem'ries sweet, comrades true. Light of faith, follow through, hail to the TCU." And I couldn't have said it better myself.
Only Heaven knows just where I'd be, if it wasn't for Texas.
Well, all I can say is..."If it wasn't for Texas, and your connection to a pastor at 1st CC,Jacksonville Beach..." you wouldn't have dragged that new hubby of your across a few states to "settle" in the Sunshine State!!! And, I know a congregation FULL of people who would totally agree that it was and is a very good thing!!! <3
ReplyDelete