Happy Meal Toys

I just saw a post on Buzzfeed fully of 90s nostalgia & the second bullet point brought me back to a sweet moment from many years ago. 

(Here is the post in case you're curious.)


... Okay, I lied. It wasn't a "sweet" moment, more like a cranky and frustrating moment.

Our Grandma Woodson used to have Happy Meal toys displayed on one of the shelves in the kitchen. Now, she didn't collect just any toy - they had to be Disney and they were pretty much all variations of Micky Mouse. I used to love to look at them and always wanted to play with with them. 

... Okay I lied again. I didn't want to look at them and play with them, I wanted to take them home and have them join forces with my own toys. BUT I was always afraid to ask and felt bad asking my Grandma to give away her toys. Not just some toys, but those were all of them! The poor woman didn't even have a dollhouse to play with! After all, I knew that if Grandma asked me to give her MY toys, I would be pretty upset.  What? I was like 5 years old! That made perfect sense to me!

At some point right around then, I decided that it was best for me to not take all of my Grandma's toys because I was no longer the baby of the family. I didn't want to take them because I wanted to make sure Philip could play with them too. Granted my 5 year old heart raged with bitterness anytime I saw that big eared kid eyeing my toys, but I still didn't feel right asking for them.

Soon those toys became Philip's favorite part of Grandma's house too. As the wise older cousin, I felt proud of myself for sharing that joy with Phil. I was truly a martyr. As the 5 year old kid, I JUST WANTED MY STINKING TOYS! 

If I remember correctly, Philip actually ended up getting them when she had to move out of her house in May 2013. When I first asked who had them and my Mom told me that Phil got them, I had two similar reactions - 
1. Of course he got them that sneaky little snake!
2. Good. Those have always really been his.

I know Philip never knew the giant sacrifice I made for him by relinquishing the grandchild custody of these toys, but I imagine it's nowhere near the magnitude of the sacrifice he made when he became a Marine. 

I'm glad you have them Phil, I'd do anything to make your face light up like it did each time you saw those toys in the kitchen. 


... But seriously, can I have them back now!?


Comments