About three years ago, Colby (8) and I were sitting on the bleachers while Taylor (6) was in her gymnastics class. At this point in time, Colby was fairly non-verbal. He used his iPod to type, some sign language, and a few sounds. As we were playing games on my phone, a little boy close to Colby's age came up to us and asked why Colby talked the way he did. I told him that Colby just communicated a little differently and used sign language and typed things when the sounds just wouldn't come out of his mouth the way he wanted. The little boy said, "Oh.." and walked away. A few minutes later he came back up to us holding his mom's iPhone and had pulled up instructions on how to sign, "Hi, my name is Matt. What is yours?" to Colby. Colby was very excited to make a new friend and said hello back. Then the little boy asked what game Colby was playing and had his mom download it for him so he and Colby could play it side by side.
We're told in Matthew that unless we change and become like children, we will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven. I think this scripture is taken out of context (what!? Scripture!? Taken out of context!? Never!!) so often and used as yet another way to try and put limits on the love of God.
The amazing thing about children is that they don't see the limits and confines that way most adults do. They're not yet jaded. They look for plans B, C, D, and E when plan A isn't doing the trick.
The kingdom of Heaven is right here, right now... We're just too jaded to see it. Instead of finding ways to transform stranger to neighbor, we find ways to build even more walls, to cut off communication, and to fuel rivalries instead of reconciliation. Though I don't have children yet, I have kids. I work with them in many settings. They're all different ages and all come from incredibly different background. I don't like that my kids are growing up in a world where sanctuaries are no longer safe, those who are supposed to protect them exploit their power, those who have made a conscious decision to give one's life for one's homeland is greeted by death at home base, from a piece of fabric can unleash centuries of systemic racism, and where a religion originated in peace is equated to tyranny by extremists. This is not the kingdom of Heaven I want for my kids.
I can't get on Facebook without seeing hate fueled by hate recharged by more hate. It's too much. The kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who approach it as children because they have the creativity and compassion to get around barriers - to learn the language of their peers and then sit beside them in an effort to understand them. As adults, we can't wrap our heads around that. It's not that we aren't welcome in the kingdom of Heaven - it's that we don't understand how to get through the gates.
Each of us have an opinion about every thing that is going on and to be honest, I don't know if I do because my heart is too distraught to even think and process. We hear all of it - every asinine, every heartfelt, every ignorant, every sincere interpretation.
"She broke the law by not obeying."
"He used his powers to deny her rights."
"He opened fire in a house of worship."
"Why are people rioting?"
"But HE did..."
"We need to have armed guards everywhere."
"Why didn't he call and offer his condolences?"
"Why are there going be 5 twenty-one gun salutes?"
"Nikki deserved to be nominated!"
"They can't get married."
"Everyone deserves to marry."
"Taylor is queen of pop!"
"It shows my southern pride and heritage!"
"It reminds me that I was once only 3/5 human."
"Stick with the body God assigned you!"
"I need to not feel trapped in my own body!"
STOP. JUST STOP.
Is this really how we want our children to remember their childhood? Really?! I don't know what we need to do, but whatever we are doing now isn't working. It's time to go with Plan B... Or Plan C... Or Plan D...
"Hi, my name is Matt. What's yours?"
Comments
Post a Comment