Home is Where the Heart is... Or is it...?

Some of you may have seen video clips, news articles, or blurbs about what is happening in Lake Charles between the Department of Transportation, Ameristar, and my Grandma. If you haven't, basically what's happening is that my Grandma lives on Cove Lane which is right off the the 2-10 loop and a new casino is being built roughly two miles away & across the lake. The casino wants to build a lane directly from 2-10 to their casino using millions (literally millions) of tax payers' dollars and build it where my Grandma's house is which means yes, taking my Grandma's house from her and tearing it down JUST TO BUILD A PRIVATE EXIT.

This entire situations is hurtful for many reasons and although I know I've been really upset about it, I've had a really hard time understanding why. Clearly anyone who watches their Grandma go through this would be hurt, but it wasn't until tonight that it really dawned on me as to why.

First, let me tell you about my Grandma. My Grandma is the most faithful, loving, strong, and resilient woman I know. She grew up on a farm in rural Arkansas and moved to Louisiana during her college years. She married my Grandpa who was in the Navy during World War II and they opened a small business together upon his return. Lake City Glass is still in operation, largely in part to how much work my Grandma put into the company following my Grandpa's death. Right after I was born she was diagnosed with breast cancer and, like every other challenge she has faced, beat it. I remember growing up and thinking I was so lucky that my Grandma lived so close to me (so did my paternal grandparents) because so many of my friends lives far away from their grandparents and barely knew them. I would go swimming at Grandma's house everyday during the summer and she would give me a Blue Bell banana Popsicle. I loved watching tv at her house because unlike my parents, she had cable! I would watch Blue Clues and All That as often as I could. My mom's sister and her family lived in Dallas which meant all of the grandchildren rarely got to be together at the same time. The day after Thanksgiving was the day all of us were together and we would have a big birthday party so that we could all celebrate together. My Grandma also has a 1927 Model A and I loved showing it off anytime my friends came over with me. My Grandma is one of the best people I know. You may have realized I didn't say much about my Grandpa... Well, my Grandpa died 8 years before I was born. I don't know much about him. I know his name was Jon Thomas but he went by Tommy. I know he fought in WWII. I know that he came from a big family, and thankfully I know them as my family too. I also know he built a significant chunk of my Grandma's house himself. He built the cabana (pool house) and the Western Room which is attached to the kitchen and has amazing brass and wood work. It also houses the laundry room, a freezer always full of ice cream, and a half bathroom with an old fashioned toilet that you have to pull to flush. Tonight it dawned on me- part of the reason I am so upset about what's happening to my Grandma is because that house is the only way I've ever really known my Grandpa. His pictures cover the walls . His hard work and fine craftsmanship are evident in the house. This house is the link I have to the Grandpa I never got to meet. This is also my Grandma's link to her husband. This is the place where they raised 3 children and loved on 8 grandchildren. This is her home. My Grandma is 85 years old... Realistically she probably has a limited amount of time left here. Instead of spending that time in the house that reminds her of children running around the house the day after Thanksgiving or selflessly allowing anybody and everybody to come swim with her, she will watch her home be destroyed to appease the convenience of the casino owners.

She doesn't deserve this, not at all.

Comments