I have always liked Christmas Eve better than Christmas Day, the week before my birthday better than the day itself, and Thursday better than Friday. I love the anticipation... the excitement... the potential that has yet to be untapped.
As we all know, Disney has the potential to appeal to everyone, no matter what age. My favorite part of all Disney movies is the opening scene with the Pirates of the Caribbean flags waving, a shooting stat, and an aerial view of Cinderella's castle. That shot is always the same--no matter what movie you're watching. Very rarely has a Disney movie been disappointing, but regardless, that scene adds quality consistency to each Disney film. As the music begins to swell and the camera angle widens, I am filled with excitement and anticipation, much like the anticipation of Christmas Eve, the week leading up to my birthday, and Thursday.
I have always wanted to be a youth minister. I have always known that my place is in the church and especially in church camp. I love the freshness and sincerity that many children and youth use to approach life. The heart of youth ministry is to affirm the God given talents and God given worth of every single one of God's children. As youth ministers, we have this small role in helping someone become the best version of themselves and helping them to understand God's deep love for them. We see their compassion, their drive, their talents, their imagination, and their own strength develop as they journey through an incredibly transformational time. Our excitement and anticipation grows as we watch them emerge into an intentionally caring community. We see what they have to offer the world and how we are so blessed just to have had any role in that process.
Youth our are Thursdays. They give us something wonderful and exciting to anticipate. We find joy in the possibilities. We find joy in the anticipation. We find joy in each other.
As we all know, Disney has the potential to appeal to everyone, no matter what age. My favorite part of all Disney movies is the opening scene with the Pirates of the Caribbean flags waving, a shooting stat, and an aerial view of Cinderella's castle. That shot is always the same--no matter what movie you're watching. Very rarely has a Disney movie been disappointing, but regardless, that scene adds quality consistency to each Disney film. As the music begins to swell and the camera angle widens, I am filled with excitement and anticipation, much like the anticipation of Christmas Eve, the week leading up to my birthday, and Thursday.
I have always wanted to be a youth minister. I have always known that my place is in the church and especially in church camp. I love the freshness and sincerity that many children and youth use to approach life. The heart of youth ministry is to affirm the God given talents and God given worth of every single one of God's children. As youth ministers, we have this small role in helping someone become the best version of themselves and helping them to understand God's deep love for them. We see their compassion, their drive, their talents, their imagination, and their own strength develop as they journey through an incredibly transformational time. Our excitement and anticipation grows as we watch them emerge into an intentionally caring community. We see what they have to offer the world and how we are so blessed just to have had any role in that process.
Youth our are Thursdays. They give us something wonderful and exciting to anticipate. We find joy in the possibilities. We find joy in the anticipation. We find joy in each other.
Comments
Post a Comment