Justin and I are getting married in three days. Yes, three days. And yes, we got engaged just a hair over a month ago. Over the past year and a half, we've talked about what we'd want in a wedding in general and then as we were together longer, the conversation shifted to what we would want in OUR wedding. We had many different ideas (okay like 85% were mine and 15% were Justin's) that we toyed around with but none of them were to have a 35 day engagement. But then again, our first date lasted 72 hours thanks to a snow storm (or at least what Texas considers to be a snow storm). Numbers haven't really been a thing for us apparently.
We knew there was a possibility of us (me) moving to Florida several months ago and as that possibility became more realistic and closer, we knew that some of those wedding ideas we had dreamed of weren't going to be possible. We want to make this move and begin this new adventure as a married couple in covenant with one another and with God.
It has been hard to let go of some of these ideas - getting married at Christmas, having all of our families together, standing beside several close friends, writing a song, driving off in the Model A, and the list could go on and on and on. To be honest, I struggled a little at first but have quickly realized that as long as I'm married to Justin Dickey by the end of the day, we will have an absolutely perfect wedding.
However, there is one idea that has been painful to let go of even though that idea disappeared in January of 2015. Nine years ago at Uncle David's surprise birthday party, Philip and I made a pact that our "song" would be "We Are Family" and that we would dance to it together at each of our weddings. I'm pretty sure Philip had snuck a few cold ones by that point (either that or homeboy can't dance) but I began to look forward to those times. Each time I heard that song afterwards, I immediately thought of Phil and how much fun we would have at our weddings. I attended many weddings between that weekend and January 25th, 2015 and each time I knew I was getting closer and closer to dancing like uncoordinated chimpanzees (he had a very particular arm motion he used) just like the families of those weddings.
My heart hollows every time I hear that song now. At times it is unbearable. I always knew Philip would be involved in the wedding somehow - groomsman, bridesman, flower girl - not sure how, but I knew he would play a key role.
Plans change. Ideas fade away. New special moments come to life.
Philip will still be at our wedding - just in a way I never would have imagined and honestly would have never wished. We are using Philip's favorite song during communion as a reminder of the everlasting life found in Christ and the comfort that comes from the covenant of the Table. No, he will not physically be present, but I know with all of my heart that Philip's presence will be felt. Praise God for being people of the Table and for uniting us in the breaking of the bread - no matter how far away it may seem. We are family, get up everybody and sing.
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
Thanks for the blue shirt Phil, I'll carry you with me down the aisle.
We knew there was a possibility of us (me) moving to Florida several months ago and as that possibility became more realistic and closer, we knew that some of those wedding ideas we had dreamed of weren't going to be possible. We want to make this move and begin this new adventure as a married couple in covenant with one another and with God.
It has been hard to let go of some of these ideas - getting married at Christmas, having all of our families together, standing beside several close friends, writing a song, driving off in the Model A, and the list could go on and on and on. To be honest, I struggled a little at first but have quickly realized that as long as I'm married to Justin Dickey by the end of the day, we will have an absolutely perfect wedding.
However, there is one idea that has been painful to let go of even though that idea disappeared in January of 2015. Nine years ago at Uncle David's surprise birthday party, Philip and I made a pact that our "song" would be "We Are Family" and that we would dance to it together at each of our weddings. I'm pretty sure Philip had snuck a few cold ones by that point (either that or homeboy can't dance) but I began to look forward to those times. Each time I heard that song afterwards, I immediately thought of Phil and how much fun we would have at our weddings. I attended many weddings between that weekend and January 25th, 2015 and each time I knew I was getting closer and closer to dancing like uncoordinated chimpanzees (he had a very particular arm motion he used) just like the families of those weddings.
My heart hollows every time I hear that song now. At times it is unbearable. I always knew Philip would be involved in the wedding somehow - groomsman, bridesman, flower girl - not sure how, but I knew he would play a key role.
Plans change. Ideas fade away. New special moments come to life.
Philip will still be at our wedding - just in a way I never would have imagined and honestly would have never wished. We are using Philip's favorite song during communion as a reminder of the everlasting life found in Christ and the comfort that comes from the covenant of the Table. No, he will not physically be present, but I know with all of my heart that Philip's presence will be felt. Praise God for being people of the Table and for uniting us in the breaking of the bread - no matter how far away it may seem. We are family, get up everybody and sing.
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
Thanks for the blue shirt Phil, I'll carry you with me down the aisle.

What bittersweet thoughts as you looked to your wedding and what would not be; but I too agree that Philip WAS at your wedding!! And, he continues in your life even now as you and Justin have begun your new life here in FL...
ReplyDelete