"Happy Memorial Day." - It's a phrase we've all said and honestly, it's one I hadn't given much thought into until the past 2 years. Growing up, Memorial Day meant going to the Avenue of Flags at the Orange Grove/Graceland Cemetery, sometimes overlapping with Uncle Steve's birthday party, finishing out the last week of school, and hearing the line up of patriotic country songs on the radio. I recognized the importance of Memorial Day, but failed to grasp the reverence of it because it didn't hit close to home yet.
My family has several members of the military on both sides. My mom's dad, Tommy Woodson, was in the Navy & fought in World War II. He passed away about 8 years before I was born. My dad's dad, Bob Taylor, was also in World War II as a Marine Raider. He passed away in 2008, days before my second year of college. He didn't talk much about what it was like to be in WWII but was willing to open up briefly for a 5th grade report I had to do. My cousin Clint III was in the Army National Guard and did multiple tours in the mid 2000's. My cousin David is a Chaplain for the Army National Guard. Mr. Mickey is also a Marine. Uncle Jimmy was in the Navy. And of course, we all know about Philip.
Even with so many family members in the military, it wasn't until last year that Memorial Day 'sunk in' so to speak. This morning during church we had all of our past and current military personnel come up front and as I looked among these men whom I admire (yes, very aware that women serve as well, we just happened to have all men), it hit me that that will never be Phil. Holding back a few small tears, I felt a slight ache in my heart and then said achy heart swell up with pride.
After Philip finished boot camp and was doing his training, I remember dreading the day he would be deployed and see combat. I knew that as infantry, he was bound to face combat whether I liked it or not. (I didn't.) I was scared of what could happen to him and I wasn't quite ready to let him go. I ended up getting what I so secretly (okay I wasn't THAT secretive about it) wanted and never had to fear losing Philip in combat. Instead, it was a motorcycle accident while stationed stateside between being overseas that made up my worst nightmare.
Philip, no matter how much I kicked, screamed, worried, and prayed about you ever being deployed, there is not a single soul on Earth that I would trust more than yours. As scared as I was, I would have never felt safer knowing I was in your care. And now, I know that I am safe with you as our guardian "angel" (c'mon, we need to be honest and admit that "angel" isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind when we think of Philip) and there isn't a soul I could trust more than you.
And so as we observe this Memorial Day, I lift up a special prayer for those families who celebrate their guardian angels, whose eyes fill with tears, and who also put quotes around "happy".
To the parents who have buried their children, may God's peace be with you as you grimace through each holiday and stare longingly at an empty bedroom.
To the children who have lost their siblings, may God's companionship see you through lonely days and unread text messages.
To the grandparents who never expected to attend their grandchild's funeral, may God's sustaining power give you strength until you leave a bright red lipstick mark on that kiddo's cheek again.
To the spouses who have lost the love of their life, may God's comforting hand wipe away each tear and hold yours through each stumbling step.
To the children who have lost a parent, may God's guidance and reassurance encourage you through those unwitnessed milestones as well as the priceless everyday moments.
To the friends who have lost one of their own, may God's mercy wash over you when you cry out for help and long for the memories of yesterday.
And finally to the cousins who can't quite discern if they've lost a friend, sibling, or a mix of both, may God fill your hearts with beautiful memories and shine light through the broken pieces of your heart.
"Happy" Memorial Day.

What a beautiful memorial for, not only Memorial Day, but for your cousin Phil and all the other members of your family that have served in the military. It doesn't matter if they have passed on due to the "un-friendly fire" of war, or the "un-friendly" roads we travel every day, they are still dear to our lives and will forever be our "guardian angel".
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing so much of your life these past two days...You are truly blessed and I pray for discernment on all sides as we move ahead with our search.
Prayers and blessings for you and Justin and your future life together!!
Barbara L.