MDiv in Rocket Science

In 5 minutes [from when I'm beginning to write this], it will be Saturday, May 9th, 2015. In some ways, I never thought this day would come yet in others, it feels like this is way too soon.

Tomorrow, May 9th, I will graduate from Brite Divinity School and TCU. On May 7th, 2011 I graduated from TCU with a BS in Social Work and a BA in Religion.  Though I knew I would be starting at Brite in the fall of 2011, I had no idea that by the time I graduated from Brite I would have also picked up a Master of Social Work along the way. 

It was not always clear, however, whether or not I would be graduating from Brite. Not many people know this outside of a few close friends, my immediate family, and my marshmallows but in December of 2011 I was academically dismissed from Brite because of my grades. When I graduated from TCU (the first time), I finished with a 2.77 overall and a 2.98 in my upper level major classes. To be admitted in good academic standing I needed a 2.75 overall and a 3.0 in my major - meaning I was admitted to Brite under academic probation and missed the GPA I needed to get off of probation by 0.07 during my first semester. I appealed my dismissal by writing an incredibly heartfelt and vulnerable letter which explained why my undergrad GPA was so low and explained why I needed to be given a second chance at Brite. I was readmitted before Spring 2012 began which meant a) my appeal worked b) I didn't fall behind schedule wise and c) not many people even realized this happened. Tomorrow I WILL graduate and my final GPA is a 3.016. 

I share this now not to be told congratulations or commended for how hard I've worked (save that for when I have the degree in hand - holla!) but so that I can say these two words to my seminary: THANK YOU. 

Thank you, Brite Divinity School, for showing me grace, nurturing me in scholarship, allowing me to prove myself, for believing in me, and for living into your mission of educating women and men to lead in the ministry of Christ's church. There are so many reasons why I'm grateful and humbled to have called Brite my school and sanctuary, but this is by far the biggest one. All of the professors, deans, and faculty who knew about my academic struggles worked diligently with me to help me learn how to study for effectively, to learn to how to improve my reading retention, and to push me far beyond what I knew I was capable of doing. I have never doubted for a second whether or not the amazing people of Brite Divinity School care deeply for their students, their institution, their field, and their community. 

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to go to TCU and to become a minister. Brite Divinity School, you made my dream come true. You took a little girl from Southwest Louisiana who had sky high dreams of one day ministering to people instead of her stuffed animals and made her dream a reality. 

There are no colors I would rather wear, no school I would rather claim, and no ministry I would rather do than what you have given me.

You want to know what #beingbrite means to me? 

It means showing grace and compassion when it feels like one's world is crumbling around them. 

It means recognizing that theology and ministry are far denser than what occurs in a classroom or between the pages of a textbook (or PDF file...).

It means seeing the individual through the eyes of God and remembering that we are ALL made in the image of God. 

It means joining hands with the neighbor and the stranger. 

It means thinking with a critical lens but acting with a compassionate soul.

It means seeing your students as more than bodies in a classroom or a name in the Rogues Gallery.

It means seeing your professors as mentors, co-journeyers, wellsprings of wisdom, and disciples. 

Brite Divinity School, I can never say thank you enough for recognizing my potential, determination, and calling into ministry. I am truly honored to soon call you my alma mater. 

You were right Dr. Pape, ministry isn't rocket science - it's a lot harder than that. 

... But it IS out of this world...


(What? Like I wouldn't go out with a pun!?) 

Comments