I don't usually post my newsletter articles for church, but I wanted to share the last three I wrote.
--------------------------------------------
Sharin’ with Erin – November 2014
If I’m being completely honest, I would have to say that I am not necessarily looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. For most of my life, Thanksgiving was spent with my Mom’s side of the family. We actually gathered with my uncle’s in-laws too meaning we had close to 40 people, enough food to make any Cajun think they had died and gone to Heaven, and rounds of BINGO that were so competitive, you’d thought there was a cash prize for the winner. Because of the way our finals fell and plans we had made to celebrate my brother’s 40th birthday in early December, I was unable to go home last November for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day ended up being when my Grandma’s condition worsened and we were told that coming out of her coma would be highly unlikely. We lost her a week later.
As November inches closer and closer, I find myself dreading Thanksgiving. My aunt and uncle who hosted Thanksgiving have since divorced and my Grandma is no longer (physically) with us. I feel selfish for not being particularly thankful. The Holidays are not always times of celebration. Instead, they can be moments of deep loneliness and sorrow. In moments like this, we must remember that change is inevitable. Though our circumstances may change from year to year and the company we keep may not be consistent, we can give thanks for a God who does not change, a God on whom we can always depend, and a God who remains by our side when we feel completely alone. Amidst our worries and disappointments, we can ALWAYS find a way to praise God and to give thanks for the very breath that that is given to us each of us.
“I'll praise my Maker while I've breath; and when my voice is lost in death, praise shall employ my nobler powers. My days of praise shall ne'er be past while life and thought and being last, or immortality endures.”
God, help us to be thankful even in times of grief and loss. Thank you for giving us breath each morning and life everlasting. Amen.
--------------------------------------------
Sharin’ with Erin – December 2014
One of my favorite memories growing up was going Christmas caroling with my church. This was a special time for all parties involved – those who sang, those who were visited, and even for those who were brave enough to ride in my car the first year I was old enough to drive. The first person we would always visit was a man who had been fundamental in the life of our church, Skipper Dean. Skipper had been born with cerebral palsy, has spent his life in a wheelchair, and speaks slowly but with purpose in every word. In his later years, Skipper lived in a nursing home about 20 miles north of Lake Charles. It was quite the drive out there, but the company was more than worth it. We would gather in Skipper’s room and he would sing along with us. As our set list came to an end, we would ask Skipper for any requests – knowing without fail that he would ask to sing “Silver Bells.”
This would be a pattern in our Christmas caroling for many years. Though Skipper knew what was coming and though we knew what was coming, the excitement was still overwhelming and in the air there’s a feeling of Christmas.
We know what is to come each Advent. As we decorate the sanctuary with the most majestic color (purple of course) and the Advent candles each begin to glow… As we sing familiar carols and anticipate the coming of our Lord… We know what is coming. We know that each year we are reminded that God came to us in the form of a precious, beautiful baby. A baby that we must nurture and love – a baby so pure and perfect that we are left awestruck in his presence. As we welcome the Christ child year after year, how will you celebrate? How will you nurture those around you? What about Advent causes you to be left in awe?
God, as we come together this Advent, may we wait with joy for the coming of your son. May we welcome him with home arms, prepared to share the joy of Christmas with everyone we meet. Amen.
--------------------------------------------
Sharin’ with Erin – January 2015
Three years. So much can happen in three years. On January 16th, 2015 I will celebrate my three-year anniversary of serving as the youth minister to an amazing congregation that I have grown to love and am proud to call my church family. I will also celebrate my 26th birthday on the same day, but that’s beside the point (for the record, cases of Diet Coke make EXCELLENT gifts). If I may, I would like to share some of what I have learned over the past three years. Some of these lessons may be silly while others are incredibly heartfelt and I look forward to learning many more lessons with my Gainesville family!
1. Interstate 35 West is a never-ending vortex of construction, traffic jams, and road closures – especially around the 820 loop.
2. It is possible to have roughly two-dozen children who are less than 10 years younger than you and to love them as your very own – and then to affectionately call them ‘marshmallows.’
3. Our congregation has over 100 ministers who are incredibly gifted and radiate the light of Christ in everything they do.
4. Church lock-ins are fun – just as long as the thermostat is labeled as ‘off limits’ from the boys.
5. When creating story lines about the church wolf, it’s important to remember what is said about him during children’s sermons. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a French speaking wolf who is from Louisiana, hangs out at the Woolf Den, has done time at the pound, is afraid of the dark, jumps in front of moving cars, accidentally eats sheep, has severe allergies, and is currently in wolf boarding school somewhere in Canada. (Did I miss any…?)
6. We learn more from our children and youth than we ever hope to teach them – we just need to empower them to teach.
7. Never underestimate the power of teenagers when their hearts are full of love and they see a need because the next thing you know, they’ll have built a playground for children they’ll never meet.
8. When your family is over 350 miles away, make friends with the congregation’s mechanic (and his family) and find a loving couple to adopt you. It’ll make home feel so much closer.
9. Listen to people’s stories. You’ll learn some pretty amazing and entertaining things about your church family. For example: Someone in our church can attribute many years of joy and a beautiful marriage to Frank Sinatra – any guesses who that may be?
10. Even when you struggle to believe in yourself and occasionally think God was actually calling someone else into ministry and you just picked up the phone by mistake, you’re never too far from someone who can see the face of Christ in you. Never, ever give up.
Thank you all so much for an amazing three years. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us next!
Comments
Post a Comment