Partyin' Partyin' Partyin' YEAH!

I was born and raised in South Louisiana, educated in Texas, went to church camp in Arkansas, just spent a week in Michigan, and while there, was adopted by a group from Kentucky. I guess that is the geographical version of being ecumenical? This past week has been absolutely wonderful and such a great way to begin the adventures of my nomadic peacemaking summer. I spent the week with youth from Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky working in Detroit. I cannot express how amazed and appreciate I am of the amazing hospitality that was shown to me from all the youth and to all of the participants of Motown Mission from the churches in Detroit. While in the Motor City, I made friends I will never forget and created bonds with several of my brothers and sisters through Christ. I was able to see the power of community and communion truly at work. This week was “Disciples Week” for Motown Mission and as many Disciples do, we shared communion. We didn’t share communion in the traditional form—we never formally sat down with bread & grape juice or said the words of institution. We did, however, share many meals together. We shared our snacks and our water bottles. We never formally said the words Jesus used when he invited us to the table, but we did live out the actions Jesus taught. We came together embracing and empowering each other, helping one another to be the best versions of ourselves and treating each other with the same love God has shown us.

Like any trip, there were moments that made us laugh and there were moments that made us cry. Okay… mostly that made me cry because I tend to do that easily. We stayed up late talking about everything from boys to actual definition of love, from funny pranks at camp to the most vulnerable times in our lives. We shared a communion that is much deeper than seeds of wheat and flowing grape juice. We shared a communion that is rooted with seeds of compassion and flowing with hope for our neighbor.

We worked hard, prayed hard, and played hard. We renovated a church and worked on a parsonage. We picked up trash in the neighborhood. During this time we were able to share stories and laughs, deep thoughts and corny jokes. We had several fantastic jam sessions in the church bus including a very enthused rendition of “Friday” to kick off our last day of work. I’ll miss everyone from Detroit, especially my new friends in Lexington. Words cannot express how much I appreciate them and their hospitality. Can’t wait til GA to see everyone again!



Comments