In the Beginning...

"Founded in 1935, the Disciples Peace Fellowship is the oldest peace organization of its type in any denomination. DPF is an independent organization within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) that promotes peace and justice by sending peace interns to church camps, publishing a quarterly newsletter, sponsoring General Assembly events, providing peace-related congregational resources, and taking action on specific peace and justice causes."
From the time I was 15 until now, I have wanted to be a Peace Intern. From a 15 year old perspective, peace interns go to church camp all over the country talking about cool stuff AND get paid for it! From a 22 year old perspective, peace interns go to church camp all over the country talking about our brothers and sisters around the world and how we can use our own talents and gifts to serve as allies and advocates to those whose voices may not be heard AND get paid for it!

Church camp has, by far, had the most impact on my understanding of faith, fellowship, fun, and family. Some of the people I hold nearest to my heart stood alongside me during energizers and communion, polar bearing and dragon's lair. If I could, I would spend the rest of my life being a professional church camp counselor. On March 13th, I was sitting next to one of my very best friends (whom I originally know from church camp) when I received the call offering me a position as a peace intern. We both squealed. I cannot explain the joy and anticipation of being able to spend my entire summer at camp and helping nurture these same relationships that I continue to treasure.

Beginning on June 5th, I will go to Indianapolis for training on how to be superbly awesome & peaceful and then travel to 8ish camps around the country. July 9-13 I will be in Nashville for General Assembly then truck on until August 15th. I will then come back to Fort Worth and begin my time in seminary and be reunited with another sacred space: Amon G. Carter Stadium. (Can I get a riff ram?)




ALMOST sounds too good to be true. ALMOST.

My Commitment to Peacemaking & How it fits into my Christian Journey 
(Written on February 19th, 2011 as part of the DPF Intern Application) 
            The Gospel of Jesus Christ calls us to something much greater than ourselves. Emphasis is so often placed on how we should live in the light of the risen Christ, which is true, yet we often forget to live in the light of Jesus’ actions. Jesus healed the sick, dined with beggars and sinners, embraced the untouchables, and lived a life of meekness and simplicity. Jesus approached everyone he met with love and kindness, contradictory to the social teachings of that time. We are called to live in that same light of service and compassion. Just as Jesus did, we are called to treat all of those whose paths we cross with kindness and to live as one human family (without the sibling rivalry aspect). This is the Gospel of Jesus that I choose to live by and have embodied in my Christian faith journey.
            My freshman year of college I joked with a professor about how I wanted to create world peace before I graduated college. I am currently 76 days away from graduation and have yet to achieve world peace. However, I feel as though I am well on my way. World peace sounds overwhelming and difficult to achieve, yet small measures can be taken by individuals and communities that then become a collaborate effort. The biggest barrier to creating world peace is education and awareness. Differences are evident in every community, yet communities often share many fundamental values. By focusing on said values and building on the strengths of each community, efforts of understanding and peace are attainable.
            I firmly believe that we are all a part of the one human family and that family transcends racial, ethnic, religious, social, gender, sex, and political boundaries. As such, we must treat each other with kindness and take a genuine interest in the wellbeing of our brothers and sisters. I believe in one God who cares for all of God’s children equally and as God’s children we should embody that same care to everyone. At Catholic Charities, one of the guiding principles used in practice is “We help people because of our faith, not theirs.” By understanding the Gospel as a call to serve all, not just a select few, a large agency is able to help thousands of people in need on a daily basis. Jesus was a friend to all, and if we believe that we are called to live like Jesus, then we too should, be a friend to all. The values of respect for all, peace over hostility, kindness over anger, and genuine compassion are engrained in the teachings of Jesus and as Christians we are called not only to practice those values on Sunday morning but to live by them on a daily basis.
            Jesus spent his time with the “outcasts” of society and treated them as friends. As Christians we need to ask ourselves who are the “outcasts” in our society and what can we do to treat them as friends? Peacemaking runs through the Gospel, and the Gospel runs through our churches to be lived out by our hands, feet, and heart. My faith journey is service and compassion driven. I became a social work major because I felt like it was my outlet to “do” something.  While preaching and sharing the love of God from a pulpit is something I plan to do one day, right now I am being called to serve those who are vulnerable and considered to be “outcasts” in our society. The Gospel is alive and well in my heart, and my heart fuels my hands and feet to do the work of Jesus on a daily basis. My place as a social worker and as a Christian is not to question one’s faith or belief in Jesus Christ; my place is to show compassion and to serve in whatever way possible.  
            One of my favorite songs comes from The Muppets and was performed shortly after Jim Henson’s death. The song is called “Just One Person” and is about how if one person believes in you, then maybe two people will, then maybe three people, and so forth. After seeing that so many people believe in you, you will be able to see what all of these people see in you and find the strength to believe in yourself. As Christians and as the one human family, we should be that “one person” to everyone we meet. We need to love each other and support each other, embracing everyone for their personal beauty and strengths. By being that “one person” we can bring out so much joy and hope that soon doubt and aggression can be overshadowed, paving the way for peace. Jesus was just one person, yet so many lives have been touched through his actions and through his life. If we truly believe that we can do anything through Christ and that Christ gives us strength, then we too can embody the compassion and life of service that Jesus lived, going out into the world and paving the way for peace, one person at a time.



Comments